Antioxidants is the collective name for a Vitamin E, C and polyphenols.
Antioxidants is the collective name for vitamines E and C, and also polyphenols, bioactive substances such as flavonols and resveratrol. These anti-oxidants protect tissue and DNA against free radicals. Free radicals are agressive substances that, in some cases, can cause harm. Anti-oxidants can be found in Polyphine® capsules.
Antioxidants are a class of molecules that are capable of inhibiting the oxidation of another molecule. Your body naturally circulates various nutrients in your body due to their antioxidant properties. It also manufactures antioxidant enzymes in order to control free radical chain reactions.
There are antioxidants that cannot be manufactured inside your body, and must be obtained from antioxidant-rich foods or potent antioxidant supplements. These are:
Grapes contain high levels of resveratrol.
Resveratrol – Found in certain fruits like grapes, vegetables, cocoa, and red wine, this antioxidant can cross the blood-brain barrier, providing protection for your brain and nervous system.
- Inhibit the spread of cancer, especially prostate cancer
- Lower your blood pressure
- Keep your heart healthy and improve elasticity of your blood vessels
- Normalize your anti-inflammatory response
- Prevent Alzheimer’s disease
Resveratrol has been found to be so effective at warding off aging-related diseases that it was dubbed the “fountain of youth.”
Carotenoids give foods their beautiful vibrant color.
Carotenoids are a class of naturally-occurring pigments that have powerful antioxidant properties. They are the compounds that give foods their vibrant colors. There are over 700 naturally-occurring carotenoids, and right now, you probably have at least 10 different kinds circulating through your bloodstream. Carotenoids can be classified into two groups:
- Carotenes contain no oxygen atoms. Some examples are lycopene (found in red tomatoes) and beta-carotene (found in orange carrots), which is converted by your body into vitamin A.
- Xanthophylls contain oxygen atoms, and examples include lutein, canthaxanthin (the gold in chanterelle mushrooms), zeaxanthin, and astaxanthin. Zeaxanthin is the most common carotenoid that naturally exists in nature and is found in peppers, kiwi, maize, grapes, squash, and oranges
– Although it’s technically a carotenoid, I believe this antioxidant deserves its own special mention due to its superb nutritional advantage. Astaxanthin is a marine carotenoid produced by the microalgae Haematococcus pluvialis when its water supply dries up, to give itself protection from ultraviolet radiation
- Supporting your immune function
- Improving your cardiovascular health by reducing C-Reactive Proteins (CRP) and triglycerides, and increasing beneficial HDL
- Protecting your eyes from cataracts, macular degeneration, and blindness
- Protecting your brain from dementia and Alzheimer’s
- Reducing your risk of different types of cancer
- Promoting recovery from spinal cord and other central nervous system injuries
- Reducing inflammation from all causes, including arthritis and asthma
- Improving your endurance, workout performance, and recovery
- Relieving indigestion and reflux
- Helping stabilize your blood sugar, thereby protecting your kidneys
- Increasing sperm strength and sperm count and improving fertility
- Helping prevent sunburn and protecting you from damaging radiation effects
- Reducing oxidative damage to your DNA
- Reducing symptoms of diseases, such as pancreatitis, multiple sclerosis, carpal tunnel syndrome, rheumatoid arthritis, Lou Gehrig’s disease, Parkinson’s disease, and neurodegenerative diseases
Aside from providing free radical protection, this antioxidant can help:
I believe that astaxanthin is the most powerful carotenoid in terms of free radical scavenging. It is 65 times more powerful than vitamin C, 54 times more powerful than beta-carotene, and 14 times more powerful than vitamin E.
Like resveratrol, it can also cross the blood-brain barrier, AND the blood-retinal barrier – something that beta-carotene and lycopene cannot do.
Astaxanthin is also more effective than other carotenoids at “singlet oxygen quenching,” a particular type of oxidation caused by sunlight and various organic materials. Astaxanthin is 550 times more powerful than vitamin E and 11 times more powerful than beta-carotene at neutralizing this singlet oxygen
To learn more about this antioxidant’s benefits, I recommend reading “Astaxanthin—Nature’s Most Powerful Antioxidant.”
Vitamin C – Dubbed the “grandfather” of the traditional antioxidants, vitamin C has a wide range of astonishing health benefits. As an antioxidant, vitamin C can help:
- Battle oxidation by acting as a major electron donor
- Maintain optimal electron flow in your cells
- Protect proteins, lipids, and other vital molecular elements in your body
Vitamin C is also essential for collagen synthesis, which is an important structural component of your bones, blood vessels, tendons, and ligaments.
You can get vitamin C from raw, organic vegetables and fruits, but you can also take it as a supplement or have it administered intravenously (IV). Personally, I am not fond of traditional vitamin C antioxidant supplements in the market, as they are not as bioavailable as they claim to be. When taking a vitamin C supplement, opt for one made with liposomal technology, which makes the nutrient more absorbable to your cells.
Vitamin E – Natural vitamin E is a family of eight different compounds: four tocopherols and four tocotrienols. You can obtain all these vitamin E compounds from a balanced diet composed of wholesome foods. However, if you take a synthetic vitamin E supplement, you will only get one of the eight compounds
Mission Plus Hb Hemoglobin Meter Starterpack – Normal
Organic Tinted Sunscreen Stick SPF50+€13.90
Mission Plus Hb Hemoglobin Meter Starterpack – Complete
Océane – Organic Dry Oil 100ml€21.90
Sunny side up!
Dry Skin Care!
Organic Sunscreen Kids SPF50+ 50 ml NEW€18.50
Alga Cicosa – Organic Repair Creme 40ml€11.90
Organic Sunscreen Kids SPF50+ 100 ml NEW€23.90
Alga Cicosa – Organic Repair Lotion 40ml€12.90